So tonight is the night, the end of the 2017. And because of that we are going to do something a little different on this blog. Throughout the year I tend to write down things I hear or read (sometimes underlining them in books). This year I decided to sit down and read through some of them. There’s usually a theme, as you will see. Now this isn’t all of them from the entire year but it is a good portion of the ones I kept track of after my trip to Italy.
Here’s the list of some of my favorite quotes from 2017:
- When you get rejected the first thing you should be doing is revive your self-esteem and not join fight club and beat it into a pulp
- Self-confident people interpret feedback the way they choose to
- We can’t protect what we don’t love and we can’t love what we don’t understand
- If you are telling a story never make yourself the hero…no one works alone
- Tragedy is never just, satisfying, but not just
- Systems can’t give mercy, only individuals can
- Decent people are the easiest to manipulate
- Lean into the discomfort of work
- Courage- tell who you are with your whole heart
- What made them vulnerable made them beautiful
- To let ourselves be seen, deeply seen; to love with our whole hearts even though there’s no guarantee, to practice gratitude and joy even in the face of terror; to believe we are enough
- We all spend our twenties and thirties trying so hard to be perfect, because we’re so worried about what people will think of us. Then we get into our forties and fifties, and we finally start to be free, because we decide that we don’t give a damn what anyone thinks of us. But you wont’ be completely free until you reach your sixties and seventies, when you finally realize this liberating truth- NOBODY WAS EVER THINKING ABOUT YOU, ANYHOW.
- I gave up on being Nice. I started putting more value on other qualities instead: passion, bravery, intelligence, practicality, humor, patience, fairness, sensitivity. Those last three might seem like they are covered by “nice,” but make no mistake, they are not. A person who smiles a lot and remembers everyone’s birthday can turn out to be undercover crazy, a compulsive thief, and boring to boot. I don’t put a lot of stock in nice. I’d prefer to be around people who have any of the above qualities over “niceness,” and I’d prefer it if that applied to me, too. I’m also okay if the most accurate description of me is nervous, and a little salty. But at least I know what I want to strive for.
- I thrive in structure. I drown in chaos.
- I love rules and I love following them, unless that rule is stupid.
- Without bravery, he instructed, they would never be able to realize the vaulting scope of their own capacities.Without bravery, they would never know the world as richly as it longs to be known. Without bravery their lives would remain small– far smaller than they probably wanted their lives to be.
- Experience has taught me to be careful of meeting your heroes in person: it can be terribly disappointing.
- There are no extra pieces in the universe. Everyone is here because he or she has a place to fill, and every piece must fit itself into the big jigsaw puzzle.
- Your Gut knows what’s up. Trust that Bitch.
Well here’s to a great 2018. I hope it brings you everything you want and more. Stay positive. Stay Bright. Stay Light. Stay Weird. Stay You. And keep reading the Wizarding World of Law School!
Until Next Time,